Friday, March 2, 2012

The Perfect Fit




Let me start by saying I never in a million years thought I would find anything with mid-century design appealing.  It reminds me of the dusty pieces my nana had in her house, all the ones I inherited, with the little stubby legs and sliding doors.  Nothing against my nana by the way, she was a great lady!  Fortunately, I have matured over the years and find I actually appreciate some of that 1950s style.  This brings me to our couch….

  My old one had been ravaged by two very adorable, but ruthless cats in my former house and was looking more than worse for wear, frightening in fact.  So my fiancé and I set out to find a new one, not knowing what the couch gods had in mind for us.   I secretly coveted our friends' beautiful leather couch (Sarah and Adam I'm talking about you!)  The couch is the kind that belongs in a library or men's club, with the tufting and brass studs, a-maz-ing!  It makes me want to sip a scotch while reading Tolstoy and smoking a cigar.  The fantasy ends there as we didn't have the room nor the funds for such a treasure, plus in real life none of those things are remotely appealing.   

On a whim we decided to see if our favorite little store on Polk Street, Flipp, had any.  They carry art, antiques, furniture, plants, little random things you didn't know you wanted and, as luck would have it, couches.   They have new, custom couches done in a mid-century modern style.  Dan, the owner, was more than willing to work with us and brought color swatches to our apartment, measured, the whole nine yards.  Now we sit daily on our lovely investment all the while thinking, "yes, I think I do like that 1950s design."  


Side view


There are so many beautiful silhouettes and fabrics to choose from, what's a girl to do?
















No comments:

Post a Comment