Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Tattered Antique Book






The Young Folk's Natural History by D.G. Wood was a tattered old book I couldn't resist buying, for the title alone.  It was sitting on a shelf with several other books all of which lacked this book's personality,if you will.  I did a little research to decipher who printed it, where it came from, etc.  Here's  what I found:

Worthington Company printed many series of books for young readers in the late 1800s out of New York City and they were written by a group of authors.  This copy was printed in 1889. There are some beautiful illustrations scattered throughout the book and some very interesting descriptions of animals including: the wild ass (love that title), the vulture, the Syrian Greyhound (never heard of it!) There are many references to biblical passages as scientific evidence of the animal's existence (definitely not p.c. today!) 

This book was formerly owned by Florence Pauline Shroter of San Mateo, California as the inscription says on the first page.  I wonder where this book has been?  How long it was in her family, how many eyes have read through its texts (if any, it's pretty boring to be honest.)  But despite it's dull subject and controversial biblical references, I am fond of what it represents and love its shabby look.    I'm not sure I can part with this beauty.  






No comments:

Post a Comment