Monday, March 12, 2012

For the Love of Vintage Books


I have always admired beautiful home libraries.  There is something about those stately leather bound books with the classic gold writing that makes me believe profound philosophies and the secrets of humanity must lie within. 





My friend's parents have an impressive wood paneled library with one of those sliding ladders so you can reach all the shelves.  It was love at first sight!  I couldn't resist climbing the mahogany rungs and pushing my way down the wall, caressing the gorgeous book spines on my way.  I would have stayed in there for hours ogling over Shakespeare's complete works if I wasn't repeatedly told by my friends that the party was still going on in the other room.



I aspire to one day have a full wall of literature.   I don't need the sliding ladder, although it would be divine, nor do I need collections of first editions.  I just want to enter my modest study and have it feel like Christmas.  That excitement that comes with knowing there are surprises all around and you get to pick which present to open.




For now I am happy with my eclectic collection of old books I found at yards sales and inherited from my family.  They are a motley bunch and have that beautiful worn look as if they have been read and reread countless times.  I feel strongly those tattered pages are valuable keepsakes of our rich literary heritage that we occasionally revisit on our ipads…sigh. 






Here are some lovely book ideas for spaces big and small.

I find it so charming when books are stacked randomly on tables, under chairs, or with other objects like this cow!








Great shelves!





Here are a few of my own:



















No comments:

Post a Comment