Friday, March 9, 2012

New Beginnings: A Fresh start for a former teacher and her vintage pieces



  I met Sarah Johnson a few years ago when she took the kindergarten position at the school where I taught second grade.   I noticed her amazing style and knew right away she was a chronic Anthropologie shopper, takes one to know one!  Over time we became good friends and loved to share design ideas about fashion and particularly how to style our San Francisco apartments.  We daydreamed about starting a business in the design and vintage world and how incredible it would be to do something we truly love.  Let me also mention that on top of being a fellow style watcher, she and her husband Adam introduced me to my fiancé. You can imagine what an asset these two are to us and how depressed I was when this next big event unfolded.  




Sarah and I enjoying a dirty martini of course!




  Fast forward to the present:  My scheming and dreaming partner and her husband moved back to Chicago in February when they couldn't refuse a job offer (biggest bummer ever!)   Sarah had to leave her teaching job and now has the unexpected opportunity to explore the world of refinishing furniture that she always wanted to.  Her soon to be released online store is called Sparrow and will feature beautiful vintage items redone with her unique style.  Here is a look at a mirror she is currently working on. 



The "before" picture.  Nice boots!

Sarah has an eye for picking great pieces with tons of potential.  Interesting paint job on this mirror to say the least!


Stripped of paint- thank God!



Love the scrolling detail.



Sanding: painstaking work.


First coat of paint after the primer, beautiful!





I'll post some pictures of her finished work as well as her info and web link when everything is up and running.  So excited for her to embark on this journey and thrilled I can blog about it to share with all of you!


1 comment:

  1. Very nice work, Sarah and Mandy! And, love me some dirty martini! Tim M.

    ReplyDelete